Q&A – Reader Request for BMW M Symbol Color Match

By on July 3, 2010
in QnA with 50 Comments
bmw-m-symbol-nail-polish I’m flashing the bat signal Fanatics. A reader contacted me in hopes of discovering a polish to match the iris blue in the BMW M Symbol (pictured right) and I’m stumped.

I thought for sure I’d have a match and now that I don’t I’m obsessed with obtaining that color.  I mean how gorg is that?  Reader S already found polish twins for the other two colors, China Glaze China Rouge & Shower Together now she’s on the hunt for a deep periwinkle creme to complete the set.  Though maybe it’s just my monitor but I think that Barielle Swizzle Stick would be a better match for the bright blue.

orly-cashmere-cardigan-prepster-spring-2009-nail-polish china-glaze-Secret-Peri-Winkle-operation-colour-fall-2008

I scoured the ALU Gallery and I’m thinking a darker version of Orly Cashmere Cardigan or China Glaze Secret Peri-winkle would be ideal. Anyone know of such a shade? Help a fellow Fanatic out!

***EDITED TO ADD – The image link below gives the Pantone shades which are a bit darker than what’s pictured above***

image credit: BMWBlog.com

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Amy says:

There’s a Zoya color that I think is similar. Yummy looks close or maybe Robyn?

2. fashionpolish says:

I think China Glaze Bermuda Breakaway would fit.

3. Jenny says:

Try La Playa from ORLY’s Viva Collection for the dark blue. Pics are hard to tell on the site but I have it and it looks like it could be a good match.

• All Lacquered Up says:

Good call! I just picked that one up yesterday at Sally’s but haven’t tried it yet. Gotta love the clearance bin. I didn’t make it there in time to snag the whole collection but La Playa was the one I was most interested in.

4. Vee says:

OPI’s “What’s with the cattitude” from the Shrek collection? Maybe…it’s a clean blue, no purple in it.

• All Lacquered Up says:

Thanks for the suggestion, that’s a great one for the blue but she’s looking for a dupe for the middle color.

5. Jackie L. says:

How about OPI’s Suzy Says Feng Shui from the Sping 2010 collection. It’s a gorgeous cobalt blue.

6. mary says:

Hmm, maybe OPI Sapphire in the Snow? BMW artwork that I have shows it to be Pantone 268, and it looks close when I hold it up to my PMS deck. Burples are hard to match and my polish is glossy and the deck paper is matte, so I don’t know! Just a thought :)

• All Lacquered Up says:

We’re on the same wavelength. In my email back to her I suggested frankening with Sapphire In The Snow. That with a bit of white added, it could be dead on.

7. Nicole says:

what about OPI for Sephora “Blue Grotto”

8. Helen says:

I would hazard a guess at either Barry M Cobalt Blue or Illamasqua Force.

9. Andrea says:

I think OPI Dating A Royal might be close… I wonder what she’s doing with the colours? Something cool and creative I imagine.

10. NailPolishFan says:

I think for the light blue maybe China Glaze For Audrey or OPI What’s with the Cattitude?, or OPI No room for the Blues. With the dark blue OPI Ogre-the-top-blue or OPI Suzi Says Feng Shui. For the red I would say OPI Got the Blues for Red or St. Petersburgundy.

11. All Lacquered Up says:

A Twitter follower shared this pic of a custom blend she mixed up on the fly.

That’s OPI What’s With The Cattitude, Blew My Mind and Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not. I know Reader S was looking for a creme but that looks pretty amazing, no?

12. Delfina says:

What about American Apparel Mount Royal?

13. Katty says:

Walmart’s Pure Ice collection has a color called French Kiss. It may be a little on the dark side, but I think it’s a pretty close match for that blue in the center.

14. Suzy says:

Sonia Kashuk Ocean Breeze is just about a perfect match.

15. Andie says:

I think AA Mount Royal would be perfect.

16. Dixie says:

When I saw that color, I immediately thought of my bottle of Sally Hansen XTreme Wear in “Blue Me Away.” Check it out on the website! It’s the blue in the first row. http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=75

17. Beth says:

I concur with China Glaze bermuda breakaway. Also, for a slightly lighter and more shimmer, China Glaze 2NITE

18. lisa says:

I have a BMW and have found the perfect color in my opinion: RIGHT HERE NOW, NO MORE LATER from Misa. Very strange name but gorgeous color!

19. Natalia says:

I think I’ve found your match!!! Hey check this on Community nail gal http://nailgal.com/displayimage.php?pid=21109&fullsize=1
    cheers

20. Nora says:

Sephora has one of their little mini colors called Myrtille and I swear it is so similar to that shade, if not just a smidge lighter. They’re pretty cheap, too!

• Nora says:

I mean *it’s pretty cheap, haha.

• Christina says:

I’ll second Sephora Myrtille, it looks so similar! Even if it ends up not being an exact match, you have to try this color if you haven’t already – it’s beautiful! :-)

21. V says:

So while on this topic….I have a HORRIBLE DILEMMA! I fell in love with Rimmel’s Pop Apricot, but it’s a jelly and really really sheer. Even 4 coats later it’s not really opaque. Does ANYONE have an idea of what will match Pop Apricot but more opaque???

22. Lynn says:

I pulled a swatch of PMS 268 (coated because we’re talking enamel). The closest I have is NFU 554. 268 is purple, and I was also thinking RBL Mismas might be kinda close (oh, the irony!).

To get it perfect, I’d add some white to the NFU, but they have such a nice range of shades, maybe there is one that’s dead on.

If your reader wants to contact me, I can probably make the shade she needs.

23. robynsdragon says:

Nina’s “Sailor” seems to be a pretty true blue matte.

24. Rachael says:

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Pacific Blue is a good match for that blue – it dries a bit darker than it looks in the bottle and may just be perfect!

• Katie says:

I totally agree Rachael! It’s my favorite polish color to wear right now and I always get compliments on it because no one has seen anything quite like it.

25. arijana says:

try american apparel’s mount royal!

26. Sky says:

Essie Mesmerize no question.

27. Mischa says:

Avon Nail Polish in Lagoon.

28. S says:

Thanks for all of the replies. I have yet to sort through them all but when I get a second to breathe I will. I never knew it would take off like this. Thank you all so much!
    -S <3

29. S says:

Hope this helps, a friend shared it with me.

“The BMW Colors are: Laguna Seca Blue, Daytona Violet, & Imola Red”

30. Irispi says:

illamasqua Force maybe…

31. Angela says:

Its great that you’ve done this. :)I hope you can complete the set. :)

32. Zemlet says:

I agree with Sephora Myrtille being a good match. I was also on a similar quest for the perfect bright cobalty periwinkley electric blue creme that isn’t too purpley and that ended up being it.

33. Kathleen says:

Face Stockholm #107 strikes me as a close match, if a little lighter. It’s a satin and a really nice color. I just posted one on my Tumblr at http://lacquerista.tumblr.com/ .

Topshop also has a good one – maybe even better. (wish I were at home so I could compare the two!) I don’t have the shade name at hand (and of COURSE it’s not even on their UK website) but it’s the periwinkle in the first photo here: http://www.sophyrobson.com/2010/05/topshop-nail-polishes/ (hurrah for the Sophy Robson blog)

34. Michelle says:

It’s hard to tell from the picture but Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Pacific Blue might be close.

35. Katrina says:

Yoga to get this Blue (OPI) Is close but with shimmer.