The Golden Globes is always my favorite award show of the season. The combination of television and film stars with free flowing booze usually results in a very fun night. Last night’s show fell a little flat but the red carpet was full of excitement. From Kiera Knightly’s gown that made me question what is going on at Chanel to Julieanne Moore’s liquid metallic ombre (with feathers!) it was a feast for the fashion eye.
While metallics were clearly a trend, what I really loved is a look that’s also big in nails, cutouts or negative space. Rosamund Pike, Emily Blunt and Jane Fonda all worked the trend but it was Kate Hudson that caused me to gasp in this white and silver Versace design. It’s nail art as fashion and the inspiration for my Golden Globes Negative Space Nails.
The Inspiration and Products Used
The back of Kate’s dress was just as dramatic as the front so I wanted to include that as part of my look as an accent nail. And I wanted to make sure the sparkle was not left out. For that reason I used two different nail art polishes for the detailing.
Milani Art of Silver brings the bling but it doesn’t have a solid base coat to create defined lines so I layered it over Art Club Steele This Look. For the stark white fabric I used Morgan Taylor All White Now because it’s not streaky and very well pigmented.
Versace-Inspired Negative Space Nail Art
Get The Look
Apply a layer of base coat and wait for it to fully dry. The base coat protects your nail bed from being damaged by tape.
All Nails Except Ring
- Cut painters tape to create elongated triangles. I layer my pieces of tape and cut all at once so the shape is concurrent.
- Place chevron-shaped French Tip Guides on the side of the nail. ($1.50, Amazon.com)
- Place the painters tape triangle at the base of the nail, with the tip starting just above the middle.
- Paint over the nail with Morgan Taylor All White Now. I did two quick coats to get it perfectly opaque.
- Pull up the tape and allow to dry a few minutes
- Use Art Club Steele This Look to draw lines on the side sections of the nail. Top the lines with Milani Art of Silver.
- Apply curved French Tip Guides to the sides of the nail, leaving a strip down the middle.
- Paint over the middle with Morgan Taylor All White Now. I used two quick coats for full coverage
- Pull up the tape and allow to dry a few minutes.
- Use Art Club Steele This Look to draw horizontal lines on the top half of the nail. Top the lines with Milani Art of Silver.
What do you all think? Did I “nail” the look? Who was your best and worst dressed at the Globes?
Morgan Taylor All White Now is available online at LoxaBeauty.com for $8.50/ea. Milani has discontinued their nail art polishes, which is a shame, but you can find Stripe Rite Silver Glitter at Sally Beauty stores and SallyBeauty.com for $3.99/ea. Art Club Steele This Look can be found on Amazon.com for $3.45/ea.
Am I the only one who thought Tina and Amy weren’t as funny as previous years? I miss the bits with audience members.Disclosure: Product samples were provided by reps for Morgan Taylor, Art Club and Milani. Affiliate links appear in this post. When you purchase through an affiliate link, you help support this site. For more info view my Disclosure Policy.