Award shows are my idea of sports. I would much rather watch the red carpet action than the Cavs play, even with LeBron back in town. Between the E! red carpet coverage, Fashion Police recaps and the shows themselves, my DVR is a flurry of activity.
This past Sunday, the actor-centric SAG Awards aired and, per usual, I was live-tweeting the red carpet, waiting for my favorite film and tv show casts to win, and they did. Yay Birdman!
When Lupita Nyong’o stepped out on the carpet in this floral Elie Saab, I swear I could hear an actual gasp on Twitter. Her gorgeous gown stuck in my head and I just had to recreate it as nail art. And it just so happens that the OPI Fifty Shades of Grey collection was perfect for the task.
Nail Polishes Used
The moody greys, silvery backdrop and bold red splashes in Lupita’s Elie Saab dress brought the OPI Fifty Shades of Grey collection to mind. Throw in Jade is the New Black and I was set. In addition to the main nail colors, I also used a black striper polish, glossy top coat and matte top coat.
Floral Watercolor Nail Art
Get The Look
- Begin with a solid base of OPI My Silk Tie. I used two coats. Wait for it to dry.
- Apply OPI Jade Is The New Black using the “Dry Brush Technique.” Wipe the brush to remove all excess polish and use whatever is left to make dragging strokes on the nail.
- Apply OPI Romantically Involved in the same manner, applying a bit more color.
- Dry brush OPI Dark Side of the Mood over the entire nail, greying all the previous colors.
- Use a nail art brush dipped in black polish or a black nail art striper polish to draw vertical lines down the nail. I used Nubar Nail Art Pen ($5.97, Amazon.com).
- Apply a glossy top coat to seal the design and avoid dragging. I used HK Girl.
- Finish with a matte top coat. I used Essie Matte About You.
Did you watch the SAG Awards red carpet? Who wore your favorite look? Do you like my recreation?
Are you an awards show junkie too? What is your favorite film of the year? I’ve seen 7 of the 8 Best Picture nominees and Whiplash is still at the top of my list. So good!
Disclosure: Product samples were provided by reps for OPI. Affiliate links appear in this post. When you purchase through an affiliate link, you help support this site. For more info view my Disclosure Policy.