It’s a beautiful sight, we’re happy tonight, walking in a winter wonderland. Living in Ohio, I have a love/hate relationship with snow. For the most part, I appreciate the beauty of it and, given my hair’s hatred of humidity, I welcome the cool, crisp air. Granted, I’m fortunate to work from home so I’m not scraping ice off my car or shoveling my driveway on the daily.
Giving a nod to our current state of wintry bliss, I DIY’d a snowflake nail decal for a Winter Wonderland Manicure. When it comes to nail art, straight lines are easy-ish but, on a curved nail, a pattern like a snowflake can be a challenge to get even.
That’s why I like creating my own decals off the nail. I can perfect the pattern by having both hands free to steady the background and brush. Plus, I have a trick that takes the guesswork out of freehand nail art. Keep reading to see how I created this fun and simple look.
Products & Tools Used
To get the look, you only need a handful of polishes and tools. I started with a base of Sally Hansen® Complete Salon Manicure™ in Let’s Snow (not pictured) on my nails and then used Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure™ in Snow Globe as my decal base, Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Striper in Blue to create the decal pattern, Sally Hansen Big Glitter Top Coat for my other nails and the Sally Hansen Raise Some Brows tweezers and Sally Hansen Ahead of the Curve file to place and trim the decal.
DIY Nail Decals Tutorial
Get The Look
- Begin with a base of Let’s Snow on all nails. I used three coats. Let it dry completely
- On a plastic sandwich bag, paint a strip of Snow Globe, a little larger than your nail. Extend a bit at the top to create a tab for easier removal. Let dry a few minutes.
- Create your design using the blue striper polish. You can freehand or print off a pattern to trace. I used this snowflake pattern so my lines would be evenly spaced. Let dry fully. I waited about an hour.
- Use your tweezers to lift the dried decal off the plastic. You may want to slide it under the entire decal first to make sure it will remove in one piece.
- Place the decal over your nail, with the pattern side down and press down using the side of the tweezers. The tackiness of the dried decal will help it adhere. Tip: Applying the pattern face down on the nail will prevent smearing when you add top coat.
- The sharp tip of the tweezers is perfect for removing any excess from around the cuticle line
- And the sapphire nail file is perfect for creating a smooth free edge
- Finally, add a layer of top coat or another coat of Snow Globe over the deal to seal it in.
- Finishing touch: layer Snow Globe and the Big Glitter Top Coat to the other nails to give them a sparkly, wintry feel.
Have you tried creating your own nail decals before? Do you have any technique tricks to share?
Where are you at with your relationship with snow this season? If you live in a warm climate, do you miss having a white winter?
The Sally Hansen products featured can be purchased at drugstores and mass retailers nationwide. For more info visit SallyHansen.comDisclosure: This post was sponsored by Sally Hansen in affiliation with Style Coalition. Product samples provided by Sally Hansen. For more info view my Disclosure Policy.